CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATES
UPDATED: March 27 @ 12:00 EST
Thank you for your patience as we have made every effort to become educated on the facts regarding the current spread of the coronavirus throughout the world. We now have a level of professional and organizational input on this matter from our colleagues in the national and international sport system and can make decisions and recommendations to the membership with respect to the impact of this outbreak on our collective activities in the foreseeable future. Please find below a summary of our position to date (updated as events change).
Following recommendations from both provincial and federal governments to limit the spread of COVID 19, GymCan staff are now working from home. Although the doors of our headquarters in Ottawa are closed until further notice, we have put remote working procedures in place to ensure the efficient operation of our office. All of our employees can be reached by email, and some by phone, and will continue to assist and inform you in the best possible way.
We continue to work closely with the FIG for all international events, and with our provincial partners for all domestic events to keep our community as informed as possible related to COVID-19.
If you have questions related to any national team activities, please contact your discipline lead at Gymnastics Canada.
For any questions related to provincial and club activities, please contact your provincial office. Note that our provincial bodies have jurisdiction over all club matters, and that gymnastics clubs are separate, independent businesses and as such must comply with all provincial and federal requirements regarding COVID-19.
The federal government has advised Canadians to avoid all non-essential international travel. Please click here for updates to travel advisories from the Government of Canada
We are constantly monitoring the FIG website for updates to events, and can confirm the following cancelled and postponed events:
- TG World Cup - Arosa (SUI)
- MAG/WAG World Cup - Tokyo (JPN)
- MAG/WAG World Cup - Birmingham (GBR)
- MAG Junior Team Cup - Berlin (GER)
- MAG/WAG World Cup - Baku (AZE) - the finals of this event have now been cancelled.
- WAG Jesolo Cup (ITA)
- MAG/WAG World Cup - Stuttgart (GER)
- 2020 Olympic Games - Tokyo (JPN)
- AG World Challenge Cup - Varna (BUL)
- RG World Challenge Cup - Portimao (POR)
- RG World Challenge Cup - Minsk (BLR)
- RG World Challenge Cup - Moscow (RUS)
- 2020 Senior Pan American Championships - Utah (USA)
- 2020 Pacific Rim Championships - Tauranga (NZL)
- RG World Cups - Sofia (BUL), Tashkent (UZE), Baku (AZE) -- all of these events have now been postponed.
- RG World Cup - Pesaro (ITA)
- TG World Cup - Brescia (ITA) – event postponed to June 19-20, 2020
- AG World Cup - Doha (QAT) – event postponed to June 3-6, 2020
FIG Website (for updates)
From the International Gymnix Organizing Committee: We would like to reassure you that to date, across all participants and collaborators of the IG 2020, no case of positive diagnosis of Coronavirus (COVID-19) has been reported to us.
Our Program Leads are working with coaches to determine alternate plans for competitions that have been postponed or cancelled and will communicate directly with the discipline membership accordingly.
We are constantly monitoring the news for updates to events, and can confirm the following cancelled and postponed events:
The TG Elite competition has been cancelled. We will look to make alternate arrangements to hold this event at a later date if possible.
The UCIC competition has been cancelled. The event organizers will look to make alternate arrangements to hold this event at a later day if possible.
The 2020 Canadian Championships have been postponed. We will contine to work with the local organizing committee to investigate other options - possibly in the fall.
The following rhythmic gymnastics competitions have been cancelled:
- Western Regional Championships: April 7-11, 2020 – Calgary, AB
- Eastern Regional Championships: April 16-19, 2020 – Moncton, NB
The following artistic gymnastics competitions have been cancelled:
- Western Canadian Artistic Gymnastics Championships: April 29-May 3, 2020 - Richmond, BC
- Eastern Canadian Artistic Gymnastics Championships: May 8-10, 2020 - Sherbrooke, QC
Updates from Gymnastics BC
Updates from Alberta Gymnastics
Updates from Gymnastics Saskatchewan
Updates from Gymnastics Manitoba
Updates from Gymnastics Ontario
Updates from Gymnastics Nova Scotia
Updates from Gymnastics New Brunswick
Updates from Gymnastique Quebec
GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
WORLD HEALTH ORGANIZATION
Further information about COVID-19 may be obtained from your NSO Chief Medical Officer or Team Physician, or the Chief Medical Officers of the Sport Medicine Advisory Committee.