Gymnastics Canada Announces Acrobatic Gymnastics team for 2018 World Age Group Competitions
OTTAWA, ON (December 8, 2017) – Gymnastics Canada is pleased to announce the acrobatic gymnastics athletes named to the Canadian team for the 10th FIG Acrobatic Gymnastics World Age Group Competitions to be held in Antwerp, BEL from April 1st to 11th, 2018. The athletes were named following a selection event held in Airdrie, AB last weekend.
“The sport of acrobatic gymnastics keeps growing and growing in Canada. With 28 athletes heading to Belgium, we are so proud to have named the largest delegation of Canadians that Gymnastics Canada has ever sent to this competition,” said Meredith Warner, Manager of Sport Development at Gymnastics Canada. “This past weekend at our selection event, our athletes proved that they are serious about their competitive season and that they are ready to take on the world in April. This will also be the first time we’ll be sending two FIG Brevet judges to be a part of the judging panel (Nancy Carss and Debbie D’Souza). Having two Canadian judges on panel at this competition demonstrates our commitment to building a high level of technical expertise in our country.”
Hosted by the Royal Belgium Gymnastics Federation, the World Age Group Competitions are a major international gymnastics competition for acrobatic gymnasts. The competition is open to teams from FIG member nations from across the globe and includes the following categories for acrobatic gymnastics: Age Group 1 (11-16), Age Group 2 (12-18), Junior (13-19) and Senior (15+). Athletes compete as either a: men’s, women’s, or mixed pair, women’s group (3 gymnasts), or men’s group (4 gymnasts). The routines must include a harmonious combination of choreography, collective acrobatic elements (holds, throws, catches), and individual acrobatic elements (floor acrobatic series), all in perfect synchronisation.
- 11-16 Mixed Pair: Mila di Salle, Theo Rots-Chan – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 11-16 Men’s Pair: Kristian Diana, Maxwell Hendershot – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 11-16 Women’s Pair: Ava Gokiert, Evelina Merkulov – Calgary Acro
- 11-16 Women’s Pair: Mira Boubou, Vanessa Nunez – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 11-16 Women’s Group: Olivia Beram, Marie-Eve Charette, Sydney White – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 11-16 Women’s Group: Amelia Magdich, Brenley Martin, Ana Zorrilla – Calgary Acro
- 12-18 Women’s Pair: Mikaela Pingol, Juliana Summers – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 12-18 Women’s Group: Allison Attard, Emmanuelle Shemko, Ally Swanepoel – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 12-18 Women’s Group: Lauren Bligh, Camille Calvo, Emma Carlton – Calgary Acro
- 13-19 Women’s Group: Ashlee Chan, Kiara Carin Kacvinsky, Kiana Wilson – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- 13-19 Women’s Group: Alexandra D’Souza, Charlotte Penner, Erin Oswald – Oakville Gymnastics Club
- Greg Boosey (Oakville Gymnastics Club)
- Scott Middleton (Oakville Gymnastics Club)
- Jennie Miller (Calgary Acro)
- Nancy Carss (FIG Brevet Judge)
- Debbie D’Souza (FIG Brevet Judge)
HEAD OF DELEGATION
- Meredith Warner (GCG Program Manager, Sport Development)
Photos from the selection camp are available to the media here: http://bit.ly/ACROWAGC-Pix. Please contact Julie Forget for a download code.
ABOUT GYMNASTICS CANADA
First established in 1969, Gymnastics Canada is the national governing body for the sport of gymnastics in Canada. Gymnastics Canada works closely with the twelve Provincial Federations and the 700 local clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development, to coaching and judging education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operating standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experience through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programming. Visit www.gymcan.org for more information, or follow us @CDNgymnastics.
For more information, contact:
Director, Communications and Marketing
Office: 613.748.5637 x 233