Canadian Acrobatic Gymnastics team takes home 22 medals from Pan American Championships
MONTERREY, MEX (November 25, 2019) – Canadian acrobatic gymnastics athletes and coaches had an amazing competition this past weekend at the 2019 Pan American Championships in Acrobatic Gymnastics, held in Monterrey, MEX, coming home with 10 gold, 9 silver, and 3 bronze medals.
The 12-18 mixed pair of Mila Di Salle and Theo Rots-Chan from Oakville Gymnastics cleaned up in their age category, winning gold in each event – balance, dynamic, combined, and all-around. Also dominating their category were the men’s 12-18 pair of Kristian Diana and Max Hendershot who are also coming home with four gold medals.
The other gold medals were won by Olivia Beram, Sydney White, and Marie-Eve Charette from Oakville Gymnastics in the 12-18 women’s group combined final, and Olivia Pham and Emily Pitters from Capital City Gymnastics in the 11-16 women’s pair dynamic final.
“I was pleasantly surprised to win this medal. My partner Emily and I worked really hard for this, and this will help me gain confidence for the upcoming season,” said Pham who is coached by Lewis Anderson and Anna Godek. “I was very proud to represent my country, and very honoured to be here competing in an international competition.”
This is the first international competition that Capital City has had athletes named to the Canadian team so winning gold was a huge accomplishment.
“We’ve had a fantastic weekend here in Monterrey. The kids are absolutely ecstatic with the goals that they’ve achieved. The preparation building up to this event was tough, but the kids have done a really great job and have been staying focussed and training hard,” said coach Greg Boosey who coaches alongside Scott Middleton at Oakville Gymnastics and whose athletes claimed a combined 19 medals at this competition.
Next up for many of these athletes will be the 2020 World Age Group Competitions which take place in Geneva, SUI from May 20th to 26th.
COMPLETE CANADIAN RESULTS:
- 11-16 Women’s Group. Joelle Attard, Ally Attard, Karyzza Guilermo (Oakville): Silver – Balance
- 11-16 Women’s Group. Janiya Ericson, Tatum Stock, Keira Weber (Capital City): Bronze - Dynamic
- 11-16 Women’s Pair. Faith Provost, Olivia Kopec (Oakville): Silver - Balance
- 11-16 Women’s Pair. Olivia Pham, Emily Pitters (Capital City): Gold – Dynamic; Bronze - Balance
- 12-18 Men’s Pair. Kristian Diana, Max Hendershot (Oakville): Gold – Dynamic; Gold – Balance; Gold – Combined; Gold – All-Around
- 12-18 Mixed Pair. Mila Di Salle, Theo Rots-Chan (Oakville): Gold – Dynamic; Gold – Balance; Gold – Combined; Gold – All-Around
- 12-18 Women’s Group. Lola Gray, Teeba Sabeeh, Katelyn Baksa Wiltshire (Oakville): Bronze - Balance
- 12-18 Women’s Group. Olivia Beram, Sydney White, Marie-Eve Charette (Oakville): Gold – Combined; Silver – Balance; Silver – Dynamic, Silver – All-Around
- 13-19 Women’s Group. Maddy Perretta, Cassandra Larner, Ashlee Chan (Oakville): Silver – All-Around; Silver – Combined; Silver – Balance; Silver - Dynamic
ABOUT GYMNASTICS CANADA
First established in 1969, Gymnastics Canada has been supporting the mastery of movement in Canada for five decades as the national governing body for the sport of gymnastics in Canada. We work closely with the twelve provincial federations and 700 local clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development, to coach and judge education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operating standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experiences through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programming. Visitwww.gymcan.org for more information, or follow us @gymcan1. From here, we soar.
For more information, contact:
Director, Communications and Marketing