National Team Head Coach, Women’s Artistic Gymnastics
OTTAWA, ON (November 30, 2021) – Gymnastics Canada (GymCan) is the national sport governing body responsible for the governance, development, and promotion of Gymnastics in Canada. Gymnastics Canada works closely with the twelve (12) Provincial Federations and over 700 clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development to coach and judge education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operation standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experience through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programing.
GymCan’s WAG High Performance program has made strong progress in the Tokyo 2020 quadrennial and is looking to continue having consistent top 8 and podium performances at future World Championships and Olympic Games. As well, and as importantly, the opportunity to build on an already strong athlete/coach support system throughout Canada is possible through the development and implementation of a coordinated Athlete Development Model (ADM) by early 2022. With this in mind, Gymnastics Canada is looking for a long term inspirational technical leader for the WAG high performance program; someone who understands the challenges and unique opportunities of a club-based and decentralized high performance structure; someone who excels in building rapport and strong relationships with high performance coaches and athletes from a mentorship perspective; and someone who understands the appropriate structures required for the implementation of an effective sport science support infrastructure. This individual is required to live in Canada full time – choice of location can be flexible to the individual’s needs.
Reporting to the GymCan CEO and working in conjunction with the Program Manager – Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG), the National Team Head Coach - WAG shall be responsible for leading and executing the vision for GymCan’s WAG National Team program, managing the direct coaching support and national team program implementation for athletes within the national team program and, where applicable, assisting in developing athletes within the WAG high-performance athlete development system. As the lead WAG technical expert for GymCan, the National Team Head Coach - WAG will lead the implementation of a world-leading high-performance WAG program that targets continued improvement of podium and medal performances for Canada at major international competitions (World Cups, World Championships, multi-sport competitions, and the Olympic Games) in a manner consistent with GymCan’s Safe Sport Policies and Principles.
In setting the direction for the WAG high-performance program, the National Team Head Coach – WAG will work with personal coaches, the WAG Integrated Support Team (IST), the Program Manager – WAG and the CEO as required in the areas of program planning, coach support, athlete monitoring, and overall program evaluation. The National Team Head Coach – WAG demonstrates high level planning, evaluation, and communication skills, has strong insight and perspective on the unique Canadian gymnastics high-performance environment, and understands the Canadian sport system and the positioning of the WAG high-performance program within the high-performance sport funding framework in Canada. As importantly, this individual has demonstrated high level relationship building capacity in a decentralized high-performance environment.
The National Team Head Coach - WAG may represent GymCan in dealings with Sport Canada, Own the Podium, the Coaching Association of Canada, the Canadian Olympic Committee, Commonwealth Games Canada, the International Gymnastics Federation (FIG), the Pan American Gymnastics Union (PAGU), and other national or international service organizations with respect to WAG high-performance activities and programs.
- Establish a high-performance environment that supports and targets finalist and medal success at major international competitions, World Championships, and Olympic Games.
- Within the scope of program and performance objectives outlined in the WAG high-performance quadrennial plan, provide leadership for the development, implementation, and evaluation of annual and quadrennial training and competition plans for the WAG National Team members in conjunction with their personal coaches and the WAG IST (sport science team).
- Oversee the establishment and implementation of WAG National Team, Hopefuls, and Aspire training camps throughout the year.
- As the National Team Head Coach, lead the provision of appropriate coaching and IST services for National Team athletes for Olympic Games, World Championships, World Cups, and other identified international competitions as required.
- With assistance from the CEO, the Program Manager - WAG, the WAG Program Committee, and Selection Working Group, lead the development of selection criteria for the national team, for specific international competitions and for the Sport Canada Athlete Assistance Program.
- With the assistance of the Program Manager - WAG and GymCan staff, ensure appropriate files on athlete training, competition results, and monitoring of progress are kept as required, and are communicated as required.
- Lead the monitoring and annual performance evaluation process for the WAG National Team Program and contribute significantly to the documentation and presentation requirements to funding and performance partners (Sport Canada AAP, Own the Podium).
- Work with the personal coaches, assigned GymCan staff, and WAG IST staff in providing a consistent and progressive athlete-centered high-performance environment
- Respect and ensure the adherence to GymCan’s Safe Sport policies in all aspects of decision making and planning.
- Working closely with the Program Manager - WAG and GymCan contracted technical staff, oversee the implementation of the Aspire athlete talent identification and monitoring system.
- Working closely with the Program Manager – WAG and in conjunction with key technical personnel from the Provincial/Territorial partners to oversee the development and monitoring of the WAG” Podium Pathway” tools.
- Provide leadership/mentorship to all coaches working closely with the National Team.
- In conjunction with GymCan technical staff, lead the development and implementation of a national coaching philosophy to compliment the Long-Term Athlete Development Model and to support the long terms needs of the WAG high performance system.
- Act as a resource person in matters relating to advanced high-performance coaching education programs and advanced coaching education.
SPORT SCIENCE AND RESEARCH (INTEGRATED SUPPORT TEAM)
- Work with the Program Manager - WAG and the WAG IST Lead to ensure that the sport science and research needs of the WAG National Team are managed effectively for the long term WAG high performance plan.
- Take a lead role in the implementation of appropriate high-performance athlete performance monitoring and measuring systems, in conjunction with assigned IST professionals.
- Develop and/or assist in the development of proposals for applied sport research and work closely with the IST in the design, implementation, and feedback on applied research.
- Support the Program Manager - WAG on submissions, reports, communication, and other requirements that are necessary to the continued support and development of the WAG high-performance program.
- Engage as required with the GymCan technical staff and GymCan members and partners in meetings and activities that relate to the overall GymCan high- performance programming environment.
- Support the Program Manager - WAG on the development, monitoring, and reporting for the WAG high-performance program budget.
Qualified candidates will have NCCP Level 4 certification/Advanced Coaching Diploma or equivalent internationally recognized advanced coaching gymnastics education qualifications and must possess:
- The proven ability to design, implement, and manage a WAG National Team/high- performance program in a country ranked in the top-8 in the world.
- At least ten years of working experience with National Team and high-performance athletes and coaches at the national and international levels.
- Excellent leadership, organizational, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of the Canadian sport system and its Safe Sport principles.
- Demonstrated ability to work with professional gymnastics coaches, HP athletes, judges, and other sport leaders.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in English, with well-developed written and oral communication skills. The ability to communicate in French is an asset.
- Appropriate legal qualifications to work in Canada or the ability to obtain the necessary requirements (work visa) if applicable, as well as be in good standing with the Professional Coaching Program of the Coaching Association of Canada (Chartered Professional Coach or Registered Coach) if applicable.
- The successful candidate must complete or have fulfilled GymCan’s risk management requirements including an up-to-date criminal record check, and completion of Respect in Sport, True Sport Clean 101, and Making Head Way.
This is a full-time position with frequent domestic and international travel. There is an expectation of full-time residence in Canada, but location is flexible. The salary will be commensurate with qualification and experience and will include an attractive employee benefit package. Qualified applicants are invited to submit their applications and resume, with salary expectations to:
Mary DeGrasse, Executive Assistant
RA Centre, 2451 Riverside Drive, K1H 7X7
Gymnastics Canada wishes to fill this position in early 2022 but will continue to accept applications for the post until suitable candidates are secured.
Intended start date (whether in Canada or remote until a work visa can be secured) is early 2022 ideally.
Financial Support for this position is provided in part through Sport Canada and the Canadian Olympic Committee.