Assistant Technical Gymnastics Director (Edmonton, AB)
9 May 2018
Ideal position for an individual who is passionate about the technical components of gymnastics but would like an opportunity to develop new skills as it relates to the overall logistics and administration of our gymnastics club.
The Assistant Technical Gymnastics Director (ATGD) is part of the management team; and works with our Recreational Manager, Sport Facility Operations Manager, and Technical Gymnastics Programs Director to facilitate a smooth-running gymnastics club. This includes overseeing all coaches, recreational and competitive, and goals, and assist with general floor supervision of all programs. A key component of this position is the unified management of all disciplines across all programs in relation to the technical and skill delivery to our athletes.
- A key position that sets the tone for the gym club by all who work, participate and visit here. Customer Service Excellence plays a key role in this job.
- Operates as a professional in tone, management and appearance, and will represent the Club at all times in a professional manner.
- Plays a key role in the overall success of the Club and will work closely as a team player with Management. This means open and fluid lines of communication.
- Regularly provides feedback to the Management Team on the soundness and effectiveness of policies and procedures.
- Development of consistent delivery of technical skills across all recreational programs.
- Development of consistent delivery of technical skills across all competitive including developmental programs.
- Adheres to all corporate policies, guidelines and statutory requirements.
- Provide back-up support to other senior staff as needed.
- Works within the Club to resolve problems, facilitate solutions and enhance customer service.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Oversee the development and guidance of the competitive stream programs from developmental up, across all disciplines. Ensure athletes are progressing satisfactorily and fairly, within reasonable time commitments that make school obligations and life achievable and successful.
- Daily implementation of all technical aspects of the Women’s Artistic, Men’s Artistic and T&T programs in accordance with Alberta Gymnastics Federation and Gymnastics Canada requirements.
- technical contents;
- coaching decisions for training purposes;
- monitoring of performances;
- evaluation of new athletes;
- maintaining current with regulations and point systems within competitive programs.
- Daily implementation of all technical aspects of Recreational KinderGym, CanGym and CanJump programs.
- Encourage staff participation and gym ownership; “Team” is a critical part of Ortona with no differentiation between programs (WAG vs T&T vs Recreational, etc.).
- Mentor coaches in areas outside their comfort zones, both in skills development and in customer service issues with an emphasis on athlete management.
- Assist coaches in developing a goal strategy and timeline in skills development and training as necessary.
- Participate in the Senior Staff meetings. Hold regular staff meetings, follow up on action items and report to the Technical Gymnastics Programs Director.
- Assist the implementation and monitoring the feeder system into the various disciplines of competitive athletes.
- Maintain, update and complete all necessary competitive athlete records.
- Complete performance evaluations and goal setting with coaches.
- Bachelors’ degree in sports or business-related field, an asset
- Certified in Gymnastics minimum NCCP 2 and working towards NCCP 3, any discipline, with 5 years of full-time gymnastics coaching experience
- Be exceptionally knowledgeable in current Canadian Gymnastics, its rules & regulations, associate organizations and supporting athletic organizations.
- Strong delegation, planning and leadership skills
- Commitment to working in a team environment, with established team building abilities
- Strong communication, leadership, integration, problem-solving and interpersonal skills
- Results-oriented individual with the ability to interpret and effectively manage multiple and competing priorities and time lines
- Ability to respond appropriately in pressure situations with a calm and steady demeanor.
- Flexibility to adjust to shifting priorities and deadlines.
- Ability to organize, evaluate, communicate and present information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Excellent time management and project management skills
- High level of sound and independent judgment and reasoning
- Ability to interpret, communicate, implement and enforce company policies and procedures
- Able to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically, and professionally at all times
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft computer software (e.g. Excel, Word, etc.) and email
- Ability to approach others in a tactful manner and reacts well under pressure
- Ability to communicate complex directions and information effectively so others will understand
- Ability to listen and understand questions and ideas presented verbally and in writing
- Travel may be required.
- Ability to work days, nights, weekends, holidays
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Must be physically capable of performing a wide variety of physical tasks including walking, running, sitting, lifting, crouching, kneeling and jumping for extended periods of time.
- May perform work at heights.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Overtime as required.
- Lifting or moving up to 50lbs may be required.
- Work will be performed in both indoor and outdoor environments in a variety of weather conditions.
- Prior to first day of work current Criminal Records Check and Alberta Child Intervention Check;
- Full-time position
- Schedule will require weekends and evenings during September to June
- Summer months Monday to Friday.
Language: Fluent English written, speaking and comprehension skills required.
Vacation: 2 weeks (4%) in accordance with Alberta Labour standards
Required for Employment: Current Criminal Records Check, current Alberta Child Intervention Check; Standard First Aid/CPR (minimum) and Respect in Sport Certification must be obtained within first three months of hire if not completed.
Address of Work: Ortona Gymnastics Club c/o Saville Community Sports Centre, 11610 – 65 Avenue NW. Edmonton, AB T6G 2E1
Salary Range: Commensurate with experience and certification
Benefits: Extended health/dental available after 90 days of continuous employment for full time staff.
Professional Skills Upgrading:
Available after 9-months of continuous employment is passed and within budget constraints and in line with directives established by Ortona. Employee re-imbursement on pre-approved courses and upon proof of completion/passing.
Our company is an equal opportunity employer that provides a workplace environment that fosters creativity and innovation; we offer competitive rates, flexible schedules, benefits, challenging projects, a dynamic and friendly work environment. We are looking for someone to fit into the current team with a professional, cheerful, take-charge/can-do attitude.
If interested, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Please make sure to include which position you are applying for and be detailed regarding your experiences. Required certificates & checks must be supplied before job start. Any job offers made will be conditional upon receipt of the required documentation.
Ortona Gymnastics thanks all applicants for their interest but advises only those under consideration will be contacted.