Recreation Program Coordinator (Grand Prairie, AB)
3 August 2018
Reports to: The Grande Prairie Gymnastics Society Board of Director and work under the supervision of the Facility Operation manager
The Recreation Coordinator will be working closely with the leadership team to make programs offered a success. Programs may include Cangym, Canjump, urban gymnastics, adult drop in, and other appropriate gymnastic related programs.
- Implement a program that engages children and adults in the local community in developmentally-appropriate physical activity at the recreational level
- Provide developmentally-appropriate gymnastics and movement instruction to children, youth, and adults of all abilities a safe, fun and physically active environment.
- Plan and lead lessons tailored to the developmental characteristics of the group, adjusting activities as necessary to provide optimal challenge for each participant.
- Supervises and mentors the recreation supervisors and works with the leadership team in the supervision of our coaches for performance and growth.
- Responsible for the development, implementation and evaluation of programs for athletes and coaches in recreation programs.
- Oversee the organization and operations of recreational gymnastics programs and coaches.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the facilitation of recreation programs in conjunction with other staff
- Programing of sessions classes complete with descriptions
- Assist with hiring coaches in conjunction with Manager
- Responsible for allocating classes to coaches
- Supervise and evaluate all coaches working with the program
- Responsible for planning of the recreation session details
- Responsible for planning and implementing special recreation events
- Ensure the gym and equipment is safe, organized and clean, maintenance and housekeeping needs repaired, reported and/or delegated as needed
- To maintain paperwork on the Recreation program in conjunction with other staff (supervisors, other program Coordinators, manager, etc.)
- Responsible for the coordination of report cards, badges and arrange to discuss athletes progress with parents when necessary.
- To demonstrate a sensibility to children’s needs and provide encouragement
- To assist with and oversee active coaching and supervision of CIT staff to ensure maintenance of coaching standards with safety a priority in conjunction with other staff
- To attend technical updating clinics as requested by the manager and Board of Directors
- Work with the manager to ensure all recreation coaches are up to date on all certifications required to perform job duties (coaching levels, first aid, etc.)
- Ensure accident reports and appropriate paperwork is completed, recorded, reported and filed.
- Responsible for coaching recruitment, interviews and training in conjunction with other staff
- Organize warm-up schedules and locations
- Organizes and conducts monthly coach’s meetings with department staff
- Ongoing liaison with staff, and recreation parents, keeping them informed of new club initiatives, special events, and programs.
- Budget responsibilities for the recreation program, in conjunction with the Manager
- Organize Recreational Summer Camps
SUPERVISING AND MENTORING
- Responsible for the day to day supervision of supervisors and/or coaches and addresses immediate disciplinary actions as required in conjunction with the Manager
- Responsible for staff recognition and administering evaluations in conjunction with the Manager.
- Assist and mentor coaches with education and training including the CIT program and coaching clinics
- Organize workshops and clinics for coaches and athletes
- Creates and maintains a work environment that fosters commitment and trust
- Provides motivation, support and encouragement to coaches
- To ensure constant communication occurs with the Manager and leadership team through informal daily and/or weekly meetings, as needed
- Budgeting of the Recreation Programs in conjunction with the Manager (this is a duplicate of the above) To designate specific times to be available as Recreation Coordinator office hours for parents, staff and general public
- To provide current status reports for The Board of Directors regarding the Recreation program
- To keep up-to-date on the financial needs of Our facility and to stay within the parameters of approved budget
- Purchases supplies for the facility when required
- Maintains good relations with Alberta Gymnastics Federation
- To promote gymnastics in the community by participating, assisting and attending various special events that may be scheduled throughout the season
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- To maintain first aid and CPR certification
- Perform regular safety checks on all equipment and training areas in conjunction with other staff
- Maintains the necessary discipline required to ensure a safety and enjoyable environment for all participants, gymnasts and coaches
- Activates emergency procedures as required
- Detects, minimizes and reports any hazardous conditions, practices and behaviours in the workplace to the Facility Operations Manager
- Complies with the safety policies
- Works closely with Facility operations Manager to address any concerns of equipment
- Answers routine questions from the public and educates them about programs available at our facility
- Ensure positive communication with parents and guardians of the participants
- Complies with approved organization policies and procedures
- Ensures the security and care of supplies, property and equipment within the facility
- Performs additional related duties as may be requested by the Board of Directors and Facility Operations Manager
- Assist with set up and operation of Cash and Camping Lottery
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have a minimum of NCCP Level 2 Gymnastics or Competition 1 and level 1 trampoline or equivalent experience in other areas.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with a focus on customer service and dealing effectively with a diverse group of stakeholders/members
- Working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office software (word, excel, outlook, PowerPoint, publisher)
- Criminal Record Check every 3 years is required
- Respect in sport certification
- Current First Aid and CPR Certification
- Supervisory experience in previous employment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to exhibit appropriate office behaviour that is sensitive to the effect on others of personal actions, language and habits; and taking personal responsibility for maintaining a professional approach to working relationships and conflict resolution
- Ability to manage change and conflict through effective conflict resolution techniques
- Ability to communicate well with all age groups
- Thorough knowledge of programs offered by our facility
- Ability to exercise sound judgement in the interpretation and application of related regulations, policies and procedures
- Basic knowledge and experience in child care, recreation and sports programs
- Ability to present a neat appearance and to deal tactfully and effectively with the public
- Ability to work independently and as a team player
Please submit a Cover Letter and Resume to the Facility Operations Manager, Melanie Buchta either in person or to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
We thank you in advance for your interest. Those selected for an interview will be contacted by phone or email.