National Events Term Contractor (GymCan)
11 March 2019
First established in 1969, Gymnastics Canada (GymCan) has been supporting the mastery of movement in Canada for five decades as the national governing body for the sport of gymnastics in Canada. We work closely with the twelve provincial federations and 700 local clubs to provide a broad range of programs and services to meet the needs of all participants. From athlete development, to coach and judge education, Gymnastics Canada sets the operating standards and practices for the sport in Canada. Our mandate is to promote and provide positive and diverse gymnastics experiences through the delivery of quality and safe gymnastics programming.
Due to a staff leave of absence, we have a short-term opportunity available for an experienced events person to work with our national office staff and Local Organizing Committees (LOC’s) to prepare for, and manage on-site, the following 2019 national competitions and championships*:
- Elite Canada (Trampoline) - May 1-5, Calgary, AB
- Canadian Championships (Rhythmic Gymnastics) - May 15-19, Markham, ON
- Canadian Championships (Artistic Gymnastics) - May 21-26, Ottawa, ON
- Canadian Championships (Acrobatic Gymnastics) - June 20-23, Oakville, ON
- Elite Canada (Men’s Artistic Gymnastics) - July 17-20, Langley, BC
- Canadian Championships (Trampoline Gymnastics) - July 24-28, Oshawa, ON
The contractor will be expected to be on-site at least two days ahead of each competition to manage set-up with the LOC.
The National Events Term Contractor will be the main point of contact with the LOC’s for the above noted competitions. GymCan program staff from each discipline will work closely with the contractor on a daily/weekly basis to provide strong technical and logistical support and will manage all the competition registration and individual club/coach follow-up required in preparation for competitions. GymCan staff will be on-site to provide technical support to the contractor for each competition. The Contractor will report to the CEO for the most part, but will have significant contact with discipline-specific program staff as needed.
The contractor will require the following skill set and level of expertise:
- Experience running high-level, multi-day sport competitions (150-300 participants + coaches/officials) -- both field of play logistics and non-field-of-play activities;
- Experience working with a range of organizing committees (volunteer-based) and NSO event staff;
- Experience managing event registration systems;
- Experience managing on-site web casting requirements with an external provider;
- Experience in, or knowledge of the sport of gymnastics is a significant asset;
- Experience managing event budgets is a significant asset;
- Functional bilingualism is an asset.
This contract will require a significant commitment on a weekly basis, including up to a full-time commitment for a large portion of the contract (including the time on-site at competitions). The contractor will be responsible for delivering the service as required and managing their time accordingly. Time management requirements will be monitored through regular meetings with GymCan staff.
The Contractor will provide their own equipment to manage their engagement. GymCan will provide expense support for pre-approved phone/travel/meals/accommodation and other expenses related to the execution of the contract.
Given the physical nature of this role, the contractor must be prepared to be active and mobile at competitions sites for up to 12 hours per day (set-up days and competition days). Some lifting and physical exertion will be required to properly execute the role. The contractor need not be based in Ottawa, but GymCan can provide working space in the national office should the contractor require such space on occasion.
SUBMISSION OF INTEREST
Prospective contractors are invited to submit their expression of interest to Gymnastics Canada by March 18th @ 5pm EST. The contact information is listed below.
The submission of interest should include the following:
- A cover letter indicating the contractor’s suitability for the position;
- A summary resume that highlights the contractor’s skill and experience relative to the post;
- An indication of expected remuneration required to complete the contract (23 week period);
- A list of three suitable references that can attest to the contractor’s work in this field.
PLEASE SUBMIT INFORMATION TO:
1900 City Park Drive, Suite 120
Ottawa, ON K1J 1A3
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.